Clearing Up Doubts You Might Have About a Pleasure Craft License Transfer

Pleasure Craft License Transfer

Whenever you see yourself in a position where you have to submit a form to a government agency, you will probably feel preemptively tired because of the process ahead of you. That is why we’ve made the process to submit the pleasure craft license transfer form a lot easier.

Carrying Out a Pleasure Craft License Transfer

In order to officially transfer the ownership, registration, and property of the pleasure craft in question to another person, whether that means partial or full ownership, you will have to go through the corresponding administrative process. In such cases, you will mostly just need to submit a form to Transport Canada with the necessary information to make the transfer official This form is designed to target a variety of different processes, which is why the form itself can be a source of confusion to those approaching it for the first time. Our team is always here to help you tackle any of these situations, but here’s a brief guide on what the form itself will be useful for.

Selling Your Pleasure Craft

The most obvious instance in which you will have to transfer your pleasure craft license will be when selling the pleasure craft in question. The license is tied to the boat, after all, so you will want to pass it along to the new owner by way of the official Transport Canada process in order to make the change in ownership official. You might think that the sale itself is enough to make the new ownership official, but in reality, there needs to be an administrative process that ratifies this in the eyes of the government and the relevant maritime agencies. The transfer of the license should be carried out by the previous owner, so if you are the one selling your pleasure craft, then this application will be up to you.

Changing Joint Ownership

In cases of joint ownership of vessels, you will have to go through the right transfer process in order to make changes to the arrangement. If, for example, you own a boat with your spouse or a business partner and either party exits the joint agreement, you will have to submit the form for a transfer of ownership detailing the changes in the arrangement. The same process applies for adding owners onto the license, which you might run into in times of marriages or joint business ventures. Either way, you will have to submit the transfer form to Transport Canada outlining what changes will be made to the license.

Pleasure Craft License Transfer

Submit Forms to Transport Canada

It’s common knowledge that engaging with government agencies can often be quite frustrating, especially when it comes to transportation. Transferring your pleasure craft license, be it fully or partially, for example, can be a very inconvenient process, which is why we make an effort to make it easier for you. Here at the Canadian Vessel Registry Center, you will be able to find all the forms you might need in relation to your vessel. For more information about this process or to ask any questions about it, you can give us a call at +1 (800) 419-9569 or email us at