The Basics of Transport Canada Vessel Registration and Licenses

Transport Canada vessel registration

When it comes to your boat documentation here in Canada, there are certain categories, forms, and applications that you need to keep in mind. We have a guide to Transport Canada vessel registration to easily help you navigate these procedures.

Transport Canada Vessel Registration

There are very specific rules for Transport Canada vessel registration and licensing, all of which you will need to be aware of if you or your company are thinking about getting a boat, whether it is for commercial or recreational purposes. This is why you need to be thorough in order to make sure that you are meeting all the right requirements. Let’s go over some of them.

When to Register a Boat?

Boat registration is meant specifically for commercial boats that operate in Canadian waters. You will have to do so through the Canadian Register of Vessels, for which  you can make use of the platform we’ve set up in order to make the process easier for you. You will have to provide thorough information about the vessel itself, such as its measurements, tonnage, and engine specs, as well as the name you intend to give it. Once you’ve filled up everything as needed, your application will be on its way to the official registry. However, if you are buying the vessel, not from the manufacturer or a dealer, but from a previous owner. In these cases, the seller will have to apply for the transfer of ownership in order to then register the vessel as yours. 

When to Get a Pleasure Craft Licence?

According to Transport Canada vessel registration regulations, the pleasure boat denomination refers to any vessel that isn’t used for commercial purposes. Research barges, passenger ferries, and similar vessels are considered commercial even if they aren’t explicitly operated for profit. A pleasure craft refers specifically to boats that are owned and operated with sole personal recreational purposes, such as yachts, sailboats, and motorboats. Only those equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more will have to get a license. Is that the case of your pleasure craft? Then let’s go over what you will have to do. So, if your pleasure craft’s motor exceeds the 10 horsepower guideline, you will want to look into getting the right license for it. This process is very simple, so don’t worry about it being complicated or convoluted.

Submit Your Registration and License Forms

Boat registration and licensing, like any other kind of bureaucratic paperwork, can be very inconvenient and tedious to deal with. However, that doesn’t have to be the case, at least not when you can count on the National Vessel Registry Center. Our platform is here for you to easily and smoothly submit your forms, pay the application fee, and receive your documentation as soon as possible. You can find all the relevant forms here on our website and, should you need any help at some point, you can always contact us through the number and email address found above to receive the corresponding assistance.

Transport Canada vessel registration