Here’s What to Do in Case You Lost Boat Ownership in Ontario

Lost Boat Ownership in Ontario

We all know just how important it is to maintain your boat documentation in order. What happens if you misplace it, though? Let’s go over what you should you in case you lost boat ownership in Ontario.

Keeping Your Registration in Order

You went through all that trouble to get your registration in the first place, didn’t you? You submitted all the corresponding forms, you applied for your initial registration, and you received the certificate. Now, going forward this certificate is going to be very important, for it will not only officially back your ownership claim over the vessel, but it will also serve as proof that you are meeting national boating guidelines and operating within the regulations of the Canada Shipping Act of 2001. Because of this, you need to make sure that you always have your certificate on board while operating your vessel. This doesn’t mean that you should keep a picture of the certificate on your phone or even a photocopy. No, you need the official physical certificate on the vessel.

Lost Boat Ownership in Ontario

So, if that physical copy is so important, what happens if something happens to it? What are you supposed to do if you lose it or if it gets damaged? Well, don’t worry, your registration itself is still in order in the Canadian Vessels Registry. However, if you don’t have the official certificate on you while operating the vessel, that doesn’t matter. You don’t have physical proof of the registration on you. So, in cases of damaged or lost boat ownership in Ontario, you’ll want to request what is known as a replacement certificate. This will grant you a new certificate of registration so that you don’t have to set sail without it.

Lost Boat Ownership in OntarioReplacing Your Certificate of Ownership

How are you going to request such a certificate, though? Well, as we said, the registration is still in place with Transport Canada, so it’s not like you have to register the vessel all over again. No, what you need to do is go through the process of requesting a replacement certificate, which will get you a new copy of the documentation. So, if you’ve lost boat ownership in Ontario, all you need to do is submit the form for a replacement to Transport Canada. You can do so right here through our website, and it will only be a matter of time before you receive the new copy of your certificate on the mail.

Submit Transport Canada Forms

Once you know what you need to do, it will be time to actually submit your replacement certificate request. You can do so directly and risk delays, or you can submit everything through our platform here at the National Vessel Registry Center Corp. We are always making sure that people have easier access to Transport Canada registration forms and applications, as well as the right venue through which to submit them. You’ll be able to find everything you need here on our website. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us by calling +1 (800) 419-9569 or emailing us at