Where to Go Online for a Transport Canada Boat Registration

Transport Canada Boat Registration

When you own your own boat, the possibilities for water-based leisure activities are nearly endless. Whether you are an avid fisherman or waterskier, or if you just plain enjoy being out in nature, having your own boat can greatly enhance your summer weekends. Some also rely on their boat for their livelihood. You can use a boat for commercial fishing or running charters. Regardless of what you plan to use your boat for, though, having the proper documentation is critical to the legal operation of your vessel. Depending on the particulars of your boat, you will likely need either a pleasure craft license (PCL) or a Transport Canada boat registration. Fortunately, by working with an online service such as ours, you can obtain the Transport Canada documentation you need online. Read on to learn more about our services and how we can help you.

At a very basic level, owning a boat is not terribly dissimilar to owning a car. For instance, to operate a motor vehicle, you need to obtain a driver’s license. This is also true for motorized vessels–you will need a boating license, also called a pleasure craft operator card (PCOC), which is acquired by taking an educational course and passing Transport Canada’s requisite exam. You also need to register your vessel in the same way that you would register a car. In Canada, there are different ways of doing this depending on the vessel, and having the right paperwork is a must before taking it to the water.

Who Needs a Transport Canada Boat Registration?

As most boaters in Canada use their vessels for leisure purposes, a simple pleasure craft license will often suffice. A PCL is required for any vessel with a motor of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more, though they are available to all boaters. If you plan to use your boat for commercial means, or if it is financed with a marine mortgage, you will need to obtain a vessel registration from Transport Canada. This is also true for boats that are traveling on foreign seas under the Canadian flag.

In order to obtain a vessel registration, there is some paperwork to complete. You will want to fill out Form 1 – Application for Vessel Registration. You will also need to provide Transport Canada with proof of ownership (often a bill of sale) and tonnage measurement. In addition, you will need to submit Form 3 – Statement of Qualification for Vessel Registration for processing. Once issued, your vessel registration will provide your boat with an official number and a completely unique name of your choosing.

Transport Canada Boat Registration

We Have the Forms You Need

Whether you need to register your vessel or obtain a pleasure craft license, we can help. We have easy-to-fill web forms for all of your Transport Canada documentation needs. To learn more about our services, take a few minutes to keep browsing through our website. You can also visit our helpful Frequently Asked Questions page for additional information.