Where Should Pleasure Craft License Be Displayed & More You Need to Know

Where Should Pleasure Craft License Be Displayed

Do you worry that you’re going to be fined or otherwise hassled for missing some small requirement? Before you shove off from port, do you ever have that familiar moment of concern that: “I haven’t done something I should do?” Vessel owners have had these fears essentially since the beginning of maritime travel. The last thing anyone wants to do is to have to spend money (or worse) because they missed some small requirement or action. We designed the National Vessel Registry Center Corp. to be a resource for vessel owners of all kinds. To that end, we can help you with questions such as “where should pleasure craft license be displayed” and more. 


So, Where Should Pleasure Craft License Be Displayed? 

If your vessel has a pleasure craft license, it has to be displayed on your vessel. Sp[eifically, it has to be displayed on both sides of your vessel’s bow. It can’t just be anywhere on the bow. You have to place it above the waterline. There’s even regulations as to how big the characters must be: at least 7.5 centimeters high (which is roughly three inches). Also, they can’t just be any color, either. They have to contrast with the color of the bow itself so that someone can see them. Use your own judgment and common sense here. Even once you do all of that, you need to carry a physical copy of the Pleasure Craft License on your vessel, too. 


Do I Have to Get a Pleasure Craft License? 

Not every vessel owner needs to get a pleasure craft license. That said, plenty of vessel owners do need to. Specifically, if your vessel has an engine that’s more than ten horsepower and you’re only going to use it for recreation and to have a good time. You may have heard that a vessel is a “pleasure craft” if it “does not carry passengers.” In this context, “passenger” is defined as someone who paid to be on the vessel, not someone who was just invited onto the vessel for recreational purposes. (That person would be referred to as a “guest.”) Now, if your vessel has that horsepower and you do plan on using it in a commercial capacity, then you might want to consider registering your vessel instead of getting a pleasure craft. 

Where Should Pleasure Craft License Be Displayed

One Step for Canadian Vessel Documentation 

The above are just some of the many questions that we’re often asked by vessel owners. The truth is that vessel documentation can be opaque even for those who’ve spent much of their lives in commercial maritime operations. That said, our professionals are more than happy to assist in many ways. For example, our document processors can find and fix any tiny mistakes you may have made on your forms. That way, you never have to worry about typos or anything of that nature. Should you have any questions, you can call us at (800) 419-9569.