What to Do If You’ve Lost Your Boat Registration Documents in Canada

Lost Registration for Boat

When important documents are lost, it can be very frustrating, especially if those documents are needed to follow the law and they were lost. When it comes to operating a boat, having the appropriate documentation on hand, such as a registration certificate, is absolutely necessary. You don’t need to worry if you can’t find the paperwork you need to register your boat. There are things you can do to fix the problem. In this post, we’ll talk about what to do with a lost registration for a boat

What Should I Do If I Lose My Registration?

Your first step should be to call Transport Canada and tell them that you lost or stole the registration. You can do this by calling the Canadian Vessel Registry Center at our toll-free number. They will be able to guide you through the process of obtaining a replacement registration document. First, they will ask you for some basic information about your boat and its registration, as well as details about how it was lost or stolen. After that, Transport Canada will send you a new registration certificate, which should arrive in the mail in a couple of weeks.


In some situations, you may need to show more proof that you own the boat. This may be in the form of a bill of sale or some other documentation that demonstrates that you are the legal owner of the boat in question.

Obtaining A Temporary Permit Through Transport Canada 

You are able to get a temporary permit in the event that you require the use of your boat before the replacement registration certificate is delivered. To do this, you will need to show up in person at a Transport Canada office and show proof of ownership, like a bill of sale or a certificate of prior registration. With the temporary permit, you will be able to use your boat for the allotted time period, which is typically three months.

A Simpler, More Straightforward Solution

You also have the choice of using a third-party online permit and form service, such as the one we offer at the National Vessel Registry Center. This can make it easier and faster to renew the registration of a boat after it has been lost. Through the National Vessel Registry Center, you can easily put in an online request for a new registration certificate. Once your request has been received, it will be processed and sent to you within a few business days. In addition, the National Vessel Registry Center provides additional services, such as the ability to apply for a boat registration for the first time, the ability to renew an existing registration, and services related to documentation.


Employing a website that offers permits and forms online can help you save both time and money, in addition to easing the stress that can result from misplacing important registration documents. You can finish the process of registering your boat without having to go to a local government office or send in paper forms by doing it online instead, which means you can do it from the convenience of your own home or office.

Protect Your Investment

Not only is it the law that you have to have the right paperwork for your boat, but it also protects the value of your investment. If you have a boat registration certificate, it not only proves that you are the rightful owner of the boat, but it also makes thieves and fraudsters less likely to take advantage of you. In addition, registration is necessary because it ensures that boats are properly equipped and maintained, which is essential for reasons relating to safety.

It is critical to take prompt action and notify Transport Canada of the loss of registration for a boat in the event that the registration is misplaced. If you fail to comply, you may be subject to penalties or fines. As soon as you have a replacement registration certificate in your possession, it is critical to store it in a location that is both safe and secure.

Lost Registration for Boat

A Convenient Process For A Lost Registration 

A lost registration for a boat can be upsetting, but there are things you can do to fix the problem. You can either tell Transport Canada about the loss, fill out a form to get a new registration certificate, or get a temporary permit. You also have the option of using a third-party online permit and form service, such as the one offered by the National Vessel Registry Center, which will streamline the process and make it more convenient to use. Having the right paperwork for your boat is important to make sure that you are following the law and protecting your investment. This is true regardless of the method that you choose. Contact us here and browse through the different forms.