What to Do about A Transfer Of Ownership

Deciding that now is the right time for you to sell your boat or turn ownership over to a family member may not always be an easy choice. Still, there are definitely a few good reasons for you to do so. Whether you are looking to buy a new boat or you just think the time is right for you to forgo ownership, you will need to follow a process involving paperwork. Ceding ownership is not as simple as just passing the keys and vessel over to someone else. In Canada, you must file the proper documents, and knowing what to do as part of a proper transfer of ownership can save you from potential headaches.

What to do Before Transfer

Conditions do exist that you must meet before you can file for a registration transfer with Transport Canada. If you have any type of mortgage on your vessel, the mortgage needs to be satisfied or transferred to another party before you can put in paperwork to request a transfer of ownership. Also, whoever the new owner of the vessel is going to be, if they are to have the boat registered in Canada, they must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. You do want to make sure you meet these criteria before you begin to file paperwork, so you do not encounter any problems or delays.

transfer of ownership

The Paperwork of a Registration Transfer

Knowing where to go to get the necessary paperwork for a transfer of ownership will help you acquire the right documents and get everything organized. It might seem like you need to scramble around to find not just the supporting documents you need to provide, but the forms required for you to fill out and mail out to the agency. That is why we at the National Vessel Registry Center Corp. are here to assist you. We have worked to put all the forms you may need in one location so that they are easy for you to find, read, and fill out.

We Help You with a Transfer

If you are selling or transferring ownership of your vessel and need to know what to do regarding a transfer of ownership, come to us at the National Vessel Registry Center Corp. Our agency works to help customers like yourself to properly and quickly file paperwork with Transport Canada. We offer all the Transport Canada forms you may need in electronic form on our website so you can fill them out online and send them to us. Our website is safe and secure to use, so you never have to worry about your information and data being compromised. We receive your applications and documents, check them over for you, and then send them to Transport Canada on your behalf so there is no fuss or issues for you. If you ever have any questions or need help with paperwork, you can also phone us at (800) 419-9569 and our staff will be glad to assist you.