Transport Canada Vessel Registration Updates

Transport Canada vessel registration

There are many reasons for which you might end up having to update your Transport Canada vessel registration. You might need to make sure your address is up to date, or you might need to add an owner to the official registry. Whatever it is, we can help you with it.

Changing the Vessel Name

The vessel name is not only the term by which you might refer to your vessel among your family, friends, or colleagues. It is the name under which the vessel itself will be registered with the corresponding government agencies. That is why, if you are planning on changing the name of the vessel then you are going to need to go through the process of changing it officially through the vessel registry. There are different ways in which you can update your Transport Canada vessel registration, but if you are specifically changing the name then you will have to use the specific change of vessel name form, which you can find under the registry form tab here on our website.

Transport Canada boat registration

Adding an Owner

In case you are adding an owner to the vessel in question, you will also need to update the registration, but you will have to do it in a very specific way. What you will have to do is use the form for a transfer of ownership, even if you aren’t transferring the vessel to someone else. You have to note, however, that in order for someone to be eligible for ownership of the vessel, even if it is shared, they have to be a Canadian citizen, a Canadian resident, or a corporation incorporated under the laws of Canada. If they are any of these, then they can be added to the registry of the vessel along with the current owner.

Changing Address or Transfering the Port of Registry

If you need to change your address on the registration, there is a specific form for that. In case that your vessel is currently registered under the Canadian Register of Vessels, then you will need to keep the information about your address up to date in regards to it. However, if what you are changing isn’t your address but your port of registry, that being the main hailing port where your vessel is registered, then you will have to make use of a different form. This will be the form for the transfer of the port of registry, which is the same form that you would use when changing the name of the vessel.

Transport Canada Vessel Registration

If you are updating any sort of Transport Canada Vessel Registration, or even applying for a new form, you might need some help in order to figure everything out. Regardless of the process in question, you can rely on the team here at the National Vessel Registry Center to handle the bulk of the work. All you need to do is fill out the forms on our website and we’ll submit them for you, having made sure there are no errors to correct. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us by calling +1 (800) 419-9569 or emailing us at