Transport Canada Change of Address: How to Do It Properly

Transport Canada Change of Address

As a vessel owner, you know that every change needs to be notified in order to navigate both Canadian and international waters safely. Reporting Transport Canada a change of address is not necessarily difficult but there are a few details to keep in mind:

  • Your vessel’s name
  • Official number
  • Port of registry
  • Name of the owner whose address has changed
  • Owner’s new address

Once you make sure you have that information, it’s time to send the change of address for Transport Canada. You can do that by visiting our online Application for change of address. The pricing is detailed there, and you can opt for having Priority Request/Rush Processing, a Certified Transcript, and/or an Uncertified Transcript of your change of address. 

Please keep in mind that this application is for vessels that are currently registered under the Transport Canada Registry. It doesn’t intend to change the address of a pleasure craft license. If you have any questions, contact us at (800) 419-9569.

When Should I Report The Change of Address to Transport Canada?

If you own a vessel that is registered under Transport Canada, you should report any changes in your boat (including, of course, the address) within 30 days after the alteration was made. This is something important to know because reporting these changes is mandatory. If you don’t do it, you risk having your registration suspended or closed.

Why Should I Change My Boat’s Address?

The main reason for you as a vessel owner to report a change of address is to make it easier for Transport Canada to contact you in case of emergency, or whenever is necessary. Sometimes during the moving process, we tend to forget to notify companies about it. As we mentioned above, not notifying Transport Canada about your change of address can be serious. 

Transport Canada Change of Address

Does it Take Long to Notify Transport Canada with a Change of Address?

Not at all! Submitting the application for a change of address at our portal is instantaneous. The National Vessel Registry Center, Corp. is a third-party agency that handles all the necessary paperwork for boat owners in Canada. We are not part of Transport Canada. We just make it easier and faster for you to process your applications with them.

Our website is SSL encrypted, so you can rest assured that all your information is safe. We have every form you need for your vessel, from Registry forms; License forms, and Small Vessel Registry Forms.