How to Get a Canadian Registry Certificate

Canadian Registry Certificate

Owning a boat can create fantastic opportunities for you. If you own a commercial vessel, you get the chance to enjoy a business where you are out on the water and doing what you love each day. As a recreational vessel owner, the opportunity to take to the seas and go out for relaxing times with family or friends or take special vacations to places you have only dreamed about in the past can come true for you. When you own a vessel in Canada, it is important that you are aware of the registration process and how it may apply to you. If you are considering getting a Canadian registry certificate for your vessel, there are some things you need to know first.

The Registry and Commercial Vessels

If you own a commercial vessel in Canada, you must register the vessel unless it falls under the exemptions listed in the Vessel Regulations. There are two classes that registering commercial vessels fall into the Small Vessel Register and the Canadian Register of Vessels. Vessels classified as small commercial vessels are those that are less than are equal to fifteen gross tonnes and used for commercial purposes with motors of ten horsepower or greater, commercial river rafts and government-owned vessels with motors greater than ten horsepower. Vessels that are greater than fifteen gross tonnes and used for commercial purposes must register under the Canadian Register of Vessels.

Canadian Registry Certificate

The Registry and Recreational Vessels

For recreational vessels, a Canadian registry certificate is not required unless your vessel needs a marine mortgage or you are planning to travel outside of Canada for long periods of time. In other cases, registration is optional for you, but if you would like to have an approved name and port of registry, or to have an official proof of ownership, a certificate is what you want.

How to Get a Certificate

If you would like to get a Canadian registry certificate for your vessel, the easiest way to do so is with our help at Canadian Vessel Registry Center Corp. We are a third-party agency that can take care of the filing on your behalf so that all your documents are sent to Transport Canada correctly and promptly so you can get your registration. If you are interested in using our services, all you need to do is find the forms you need on our website to get started, or you can give us a call toll-free at (800) 419-9569, and we will be happy to answer your questions and assist you with the process.