Is a Pleasure Craft License the Same as a Boating License?

pleasure craft license

Are you new to Transport Canada’s required documentation for you and your boat? Titles and words may sound confusing, but don’t worry. The difference between a pleasure craft license and a boating license can be easily understood by just getting on the basic concepts.

Sailing is one of Canada’s most popular activities. Every year, thousands of people wait for the right season to enjoy getting into the water with their favorite vessel. Be it for fishing, transporting people (or cargo), or just for recreational purposes, sooner or later you will find yourself aboard a ship. So what do you exactly need for it? Read on further to learn more.

Boating License Vs Pleasure Craft License

While the name’s may sound alike, you must understand that there is paperwork involved for you as well as for your boat. Each licenser serves different purposes. If you are looking to use a vessel merely for recreational purposes, you will need both.

pleasure craft license

Boating License

A boating license is what allows you to operate a vessel for recreational activities, or a pleasure craft. Transport Canada requires you to study and pass the Canadian Boater Service Course, which can be done online. If you fail, don’t worry, you can do it again in 24hs. The online course takes between 3 to 5 hours.

 If approved, you’ll be granted a temporary PCOC, short for Pleasure Craft Operation Card. This documentation is proof of competency, as it shows that you understand the basic rules on boating and how to safely operate a boat. Eventually, in about 2-3 weeks, you will receive on the mail the definitive PCOC.

Pleasure Craft License

On the other hand, the pleasure craft license is the documentation the boat requires to operate legally in Canada if intended for pleasure and non-commercial use. The license is mandatory for pleasure vessels equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft. It provides a unique identification number that must be displayed on the boat.

If the motor is under 7.5kW or the ship was acquired less than 90 days ago, the license is not mandatory. Exemptions also include boats already registered under the small vessel registry.

Eager For Boating? Obtain Your License Today!

If you already have a boat, the National Vessel Registry Center provides all the documentation you need! Look on the website for the pleasure craft license form and get started right away.

Your information is safe with us. Fill the three-step online application process through our SSL encrypted portal and you are all set! We’ll take care of remitting your information to the authorities.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions!