How to Change the Name of Your Boat in Canada and Other Actions Easier

change the name of your boat

Have you been looking to change the name of your boat in Canada? Do you know you have to take steps to do it legally but you’ve been procrastinating? Changing a vessel’s name can be necessary, but it’s also the kind of activity that a person could easily put off for another time. However, it may be something that has to be done. Here at the National Vessel Registry Center Corp., we’ve designed an easier way to do all of those Canadian documentation chores that “have to be done.” Whether you need a new name, Port of Registry, or something else, we can help. 

What to Keep in Mind When You Change the Name of Your Boat 

There are specific rules to keep in mind when you’re picking a name for your vessel. It can’t be something that’s prohibited (think “obscene,” etc.) nor can it be something that’s a registered trademark. So, you couldn’t call it “Cheetos” or “Nike” and so forth. You also want to be wary about anything that touches on vessel acronyms. Like, starting something with “FV” or “SV” wouldn’t work, as those are the acronyms for “fishing vessel” and “sailing vessel” respectively. Your name will be rejected if it’s a distress signal or even something that could be confused with a distress signal. Should you choose the name of someone who’s famous in Canada or if you want to name it after a city/town, you’ll need a proper authorization letter. 

How to Change the Name of Your Boat and More1

The Form You Need 

Once you’ve picked the name that you want, just come to our site. If you scroll down just a bit, you’ll find it’s right in the center of our home page. We’ve designed our site in such a way that it can be used from practically anywhere on any sort of device, so long as you have a connection to the internet. So, you can fill out this form while you’re being driven to the dock, sitting at the edge of the bay, or even on the vessel itself. We also employ top-notch document processors, who will go over your forms and catch any small errors that might hold up or otherwise impede your documentation. You’ve come up with a new name, you deserve to be in compliance fast. 

All Canadian Vessel Documentation at Your Fingertips 

When someone decides to change the name of their vessel, it’s often because they’re going through some kind of life change. Here at the National Vessel Registry Center Corp., we have all of the forms that you might need as your life changes throughout the course of vessel ownership. When you need to renew your documentation or pleasure craft license, we can help. Should you need to get a replacement certificate, transfer ownership, change your address, and so much else, we’ve got you covered there, too. For help with these documents and all others, you can email us or call (800) 419-9569.