How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Pleasure Craft? What You Need to Know

Ownership of a Pleasure Craft

When planning to sell your boat, you will probably have a few questions. You might be wondering how do I transfer ownership of a pleasure craft? Well, we can help with that.

How Do I Transfer Ownership of a Pleasure Craft?

Pleasure craft ownership in Canada comes with the corresponding license that allows it to be operated in national waters. This means that, should you part ways with the pleasure craft, the license will have to go along with it. In order to do this, it’s obviously not enough to simply pass along the certificate with the vessel. It actually requires a thorough bureaucratic process that changes the ownership at an official capacity with Transport Canada’s maritime authority. Now, we know this might sound like a nuisance, but it doesn’t have to be, at least not with our help. Let’s guide you through this process.

Process the Bill of Sale Accordingly

The first step in officializing the transfer process will be to get the bill of sale in order, which serves as the receipt when a boat is sold to a new owner. In order for the new owner to claim the boat as their own, they will need to have an official bill of sale that’s been made to their name, proving that the transaction took place at all. If you need help drafting and certifying a vessel bill of sale, you will find everything you need right here on the National Vessel Registry Center website. We’ve compiled all the information and application forms here for your convenience.

Filing For an Ownership Transfer

So, how do I transfer ownership of a pleasure craft? Well, now that you have the bill of sale in order, this process will involve a simple transfer application with Transport Canada. You can find this form right here on our sidebar, where you will also be able to fill it out directly onto the platform, pay the application fee, and submit it to Transport Canada through our processors. It will only take a few days for the transfer application to be processed and the pleasure craft license to be filed under the new name. Should you have any questions at some point in this process, then you can reach out to our team with your doubts. We are here to help you with this process.

Ownership of a Pleasure Craft

Submit the Transfer Form

Transport Canada bureaucracy, like all sorts of administrative paperwork, can be quite annoying and inconvenient, which is why we here at the National Vessel Registry Center want to make it all easier for you. Our platform has everything you need in regard to vessel documentation, be it your registration, your license, or other similar documents. And the best part is that should you need any help at some point in the process, we are ready to address your doubts and questions. Just reach out to us by way of our contact page through email or phone. Our team wants to make sure that you process your documentation application without any trouble.