Buying a Boat in BC? Get Your Forms Online

Buying a Boat in BC

If you are tired of being stuck on the shore during the boating season, it might be time to finally purchase a vessel of your own. When you own a boat, you no longer have to rely on that friend or family member to take you out on the lake–you can do so whenever the urge should strike. No matter if you like to fish, tube, or just relax in nature, it is hard to maximize those activities without buying a boat in BC. And really, when it comes to boating, it is tough to top what Canada has to offer. BC, especially, is a paradise for boaters, as it is situated on the beautiful, picturesque Pacific coast. If you have just begun the process of shopping for a boat of your own, you have probably found yourself inundated with research tasks, and that’s typical. There are a ton of different types of boats available for purchase, and finding the vessel that suits your needs does require a bit of background work. If you are in this early phase of your boat-buying journey, it can also be a prudent time to learn about which forms and documents you will need to submit to Transport Canada.

When you think about boating, you probably think about a no-stress lifestyle. Well, it is true that boating can be a leisurely hobby, but it also comes with a high degree of responsibility. For instance, you will need to thoroughly clean and perform maintenance on your boat on a regular schedule. You will also need to make sure that you are complying with basic safety practices. This can mean obtaining your boating license, which is also called a pleasure craft operator card (PCOC). Your PCOC will show that you have taken a boating safety class and passed Transport Canada’s requisite exam. You will also need to stay current with your vessel registration and license documents. Fortunately for you, at the National Vessel Registry Center, we can help you take care of that aspect online.

Forms to Know When Buying a Boat in BC

The type of paperwork that you will need to file for your new vessel will depend on a couple of factors. The main things to think about are what type of boat you have, and what you plan to use it for. If your boat is purely used for recreational means and it has an engine of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more, you will need to apply for a pleasure craft license (PCL) from Transport Canada. If your boat will be used for commercial purposes, or if it is used to travel abroad under the Canadian flag, you will need to apply for a vessel registration. This is also the case if you purchased your boat by taking out a marine mortgage.

Buying a Boat in BC

File Your Forms Online the Easy Way

We can help you apply for your PCL or vessel registration online. Simply select the option you need from our navigation menu and fill out our streamlined, fillable forms. If you have additional queries, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions page.