What Does Transport Canada Vessel Registration Do?

transport canada vessel registration

Are you looking for a new hobby that allows you to maximize your time in the great Canadian outdoors? Well, if so, you may want to take a long look at the idea of buying a boat. With a vessel all your own, you have the freedom to cruise any of Canada’s hundreds of thousands of lakes whenever the urge should strike you. That being said, though, purchasing a boat can be a pretty significant investment, and for most people, it is not one that is made lightly. That means doing a lot of research and getting to know the various different types of boats, and learning about the many makes and models. Once you narrow down your search to the right type of vessel for you, you may also want to take a look at Canada’s bustling secondary market, as there are many great deals to be had on used boats. Whatever you end up purchasing, however, will likely require some mode of documentation, and if you need a Transport Canada vessel registration, you may want to learn a bit more about what that means.

What is Transport Canada? In short, this agency handles all transportation infrastructure matters on water and land. Headquartered in Ottawa, Transport Canada is accountable to parliament and the Canadian people, and they currently employ thousands of individuals. In your time as a boat owner, you can expect to work with this agency from time to time, and at the outset of purchasing your boat, you will likely have to navigate some of their paperwork. Transport Canada issues pleasure craft licenses (PCLs) and vessel registrations, and while they both serve to document your boat, they do serve different purposes. Read on to learn more about the types of documentation you may need.

The Facts on Transport Canada Vessel Registration

Most boaters will only use their vessels for purely recreational purposes. In that specific scenario, a simple pleasure craft license will suffice. More specifically, PCLs are a requirement for all motorized vessels with engines of 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more on Canadian waters. Vessel registration is a slightly different animal. Any vessel traveling abroad undering the Canadian flag, or operating in a commercial capacity will require vessel registration. This is also the case when a vessel is purchased with any sort of bank loan.

When you register your vessel with Transport Canada, you are given an official name of your choosing to display on your boat. Registered vessels are identified via their unique monikers, so you will want to get creative with your choice. When you register a vessel, you also no longer need a PCL. In Canada, vessel registration is available to all types of boats, and with its incentives, it can make sense for a lot of vessel owners.

Register Your Boat Using Our Forms 

You can register your boat online using our simplified web forms. Simply select the registration option from our navigation menu. To learn more about our services, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

transport canada vessel registration