I Lost My Boat Registration: Now What?

I Lost My Boat Registration

One of the great things about boating is that it allows you to reconnect with nature. When you take your vessel out on the open water, with the wind and sun on your face, the trivialities of life back on land can seem thousands of miles away. As you cruise the waves and navigate high speeds, however, it is not uncommon for items that are not secured to fly off of your boat. Should this fate meet a copy of your vessel registration, you can potentially be stuck back on land without valid documentation. If you have found yourself uttering the words, “I lost my boat registration, now what do I do?” You should know, there is a way for you to obtain a replacement copy of this document from Transport Canada. By working with a private service such as ours at the National Vessel Registry Center, you can even request this document online in just a matter of minutes

If you have experience as a boat owner, you are probably no stranger to Transport Canada documentation. As the nation’s main transportation agency for both sea and land, Transport Canada has thousands of employees and plays a key role in creating rules and regulations for Canadian boaters. One way in which Transport Canada protects our pristine waterways is by issuing vessel licenses and registrations. By keeping track of who and what is on our waterways, Transport Canada can make more informed decisions regarding legislation and safety practices. By staying on top of your vessel documentation matters, you are doing your part to help keep our waters safe and enjoyable to all.

I Lost My Boat Registration: Can I Get a Replacement Copy Online?

In Canada, there are a couple of different options for licensing and registering a boat. For most recreational boat owners, a Pleasure Craft License (PCL) is sufficient documentation for Transport Canada. Specifically, a PCL is required for any boat featuring an engine of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more. When you obtain a PCL, you are given a registration number that must adorn both sides of your boat’s bow in letters of at least three inches in height.

If you are using your boat for commercial purposes, you will need to submit an application for registration (often referred to as a “Form 1”) to Transport Canada. This is also true for any vessel financed with a marine mortgage, or boats travelling on international waters under the Canadian flag. When you register your vessel, you are given an official number and a completely unique name of your choice for your vessel.

If you have lost or misplaced your vessel registration, it is possible to obtain a replacement copy from Transport Canada. You will need to submit a request in writing that includes your vessel’s official name and number and pay a small fee as well. By using our web forms, you can do this online and save yourself the hassle of a trip to the post office.

I Lost My Boat Registration

Get The Transport Canada Documents You Need

At the National Vessel Registry Center, we have online forms for all of your Transport Canada documentation needs. To learn more, browse our easy-to-use page, you will find any form you might need.