What Does Certification for Vessels Entail?

Certification for Vessels

When you are considering purchasing a boat of your own, you might feel a bit overwhelmed by the volume of options out there. Boats can come in a lot of different shapes and sizes, and finding the right make and model for you can require some due diligence. You will want to perform a fair amount of research to get to know the different boats out on the market before locating a seller in your area. You should also think a bit about whether or not you would like to purchase a new or previously owned vessel. Since new boats can often be quite expensive, many find that the secondary market is a great resource for obtaining a well-maintained used vessel. After you make an offer and complete your transaction, you will probably be pretty eager to get your new boat out on the lake. First, though, you may need to handle some Transport Canada paperwork. At this juncture, it can be helpful to learn a bit about what certification for vessels means.

While recreational boating may seem like a simple leisure activity, in truth, it comes with a high degree of responsibility. If you are going to be manning a motorized vessel, you may need to apply for a boating license. Also referred to as a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC), this document demonstrates that you have a basic competency for operating a vessel in a safe manner. You can get your PCOC from Transport Canada free of charge by taking a brief educational course and passing the requisite exam. Depending on the type of vessel you own, you may also need to get a Pleasure Craft License (PCL) or vessel registration. By understanding how to get these certifications online, you may be able to save yourself some valuable time and energy.

The Different Forms of Certification for Vessels

Before you start applying for documentation from Transport Canada, it can be prudent to understand precisely which certification you require. If your boat is used for purely recreational means, chances are you will only require a Pleasure Craft License. A PCL, to be a bit more exact, is mandatory for any motorized vessels with engines of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more. To obtain a PCL, you will want to complete an application and submit a photograph of your vessel, along with a bill of sale, to Transport Canada.

If your boat is used to support a commercial business, or if you are planning to travel internationally under the Canadian flag, you will want a vessel registration. This will also be required if your boat was purchased with a marine mortgage. You can register your vessel by submitting photographs of all four sides of your vessel and a bill of sale to Transport Canada. These items should supplement Transport Canada’s Form 1 and Form 3, respectively.

Certification for Vessels

Register Your Boat Online

We can help you get the certifications you need online. Simply browse our navigation menu and select the correct web form for you. If you would like to learn more, you can also visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.