Understanding the Different Types of Documentation for a Canadian Vessel

Types of Documentation for a Canadian Vessel

After purchasing a vessel in Canada, it is important to understand whether you should license your boat, or seek to have a registration certificate. Transport Canada requires that you have either one or other of these types of Documentation for a Canadian vessel operating in their waters, and so it is important to understand the choices that you have, and whether you are selecting the right one for your boat. We can help you to learn more about the different operating registration types, and which would be most important for you.

A License for Pleasure Vessels

If you have bought the boat with the intention of taking it out for a jaunt around the coast of Canada, going on a fishing trip or taking friends or family sailing and have no intention of making a profit or charging for the trip, then you are most likely to benefit from taking out a pleasure boat license. This will give you all of the documentation that you need for your boat, and will meet the requirements of Transport Canada. However, if you are going to be using the boat for other purposes, or have to register the vessel in order to complete a mortgage, then you will need to apply for a certificate.

Types of Documentation for a Canadian Vessel

Getting the Right Forms

Once you know that you need to apply for registration, you will have to reach out to Transport Canada and their form supply service. This agency handles all of the registration forms that you will need, but they are not really there to help you and may prove a hindrance if you don’t understand the process correctly. Since registering the vessel is so important for any commercial investment or other interests, then you will need to take your time over these forms to complete them correctly.

Getting Help with Forms

Registering your vessel will be easier if you get assistance with completing the forms correctly the first time. This will speed up the process and ensure that you are not too late when submitting or reapplying for registration. At National Vessel Registry Center, we can help you with all forms of Documentation for a Canadian vessel, including working out which form is right, completion and submitting to the agency. To ask for help with your paperwork, you can use our online contact form or call us on (800) 419-9569 now.