Processing a Boat Transfer in Quebec

Boat Transfer in Quebec

If you live in Canada, you already know it is a great place to own a boat. With so much scenic beauty and so many pristine waterways, wherever you launch your vessel, you are sure to have an enjoyable afternoon out on the water. Quebec, in particular, is a major haven for boaters. Home to some 500,000 thousand lakes, 12 percent of the surface area of this province is covered by water. While you surely will not run out of places to boat, you may find that your personal boating needs will evolve over time. Should you find yourself in a situation where you need to downsize or upgrade your watercraft, you will be pleased to know that you can command a fair price on the secondary market. Of course, doing so will call for a bit of elbow grease, as you will need to write an engaging listing to market your vessel. Once you and a buyer have negotiated a price, you may also need to fill out some paperwork in the form of a boat transfer in Quebec. Fortunately, at the National Vessel Registry Center, we have got you covered.

Choosing to sell your boat is never an easy decision. For one, buying it in the first place was a major investment in terms of your money and your time. You may have had to budget for months–even years–before closing the deal on your boat. Once you brought it into your possession, you also likely formed meaningful, lasting memories with your loved ones out on the water. Still, if it is time to move on, you can take some solace in knowing that others will have an opportunity to get enjoyment from your well-maintained vessel. Before you bring your boat to market, you will want to thoroughly clean it, check the engine maintenance, and take a number of high-resolution photos to highlight its finer points. This is also a good time to get ahead of some necessary Transport Canada paperwork. Read on to learn more.

Completing a Boat Transfer in Quebec Online

When you sell a boat, the paperwork required to do so will largely depend on how it is documented with Transport Canada. For instance, all leisure crafts with engines of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more will require a pleasure craft license (PCL). Boats with PCLs do not necessarily require an official transfer document, but you will want to sign over ownership on the designated fields on the back of your PCL.

Boats that are used for commercial purposes or are financed with bank loans must be registered with Transport Canada. When this type of boat is sold, a Form 6 – Bill of Sale must be processed with Transport Canada to facilitate a transfer of ownership. You can use our forms to do this online.

Boat Transfer in Quebec

Find the Forms You Need

Looking to sell your registered vessel? Use our web forms to take care of your paperwork online. If you would like to learn more about what we can do for you, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page, or take a moment to explore our website.