Handling a Pleasure Craft License Transfer Online

pleasure craft license transfer

When you first buy a boat, you do so under the assumption that it will be a hobby of yours for many years to come. That’s one of the perks of boat ownership–it can be a lifelong pastime. Of course, over time as your life evolves, so too may your boating needs. For instance, maybe your family will expand and you will need a larger vessel? Maybe the kids have gone off to school and your boat is now a little outsized for your needs? Whether you are upgrading or downgrading, the good news is that boats tend to hold their value well. Chances are, you will be able to command a fair price for your vessel on Canada’s robust secondary market. Pursuing this path also allows someone else to get enjoyment out of your boat, which you undoubtedly took great care of during your time as its owner. When you sell your boat, you may need to complete some paperwork. Most commonly, you will need to process a pleasure craft license transfer, which we can help you do online.

If it is indeed time to move on from your current vessel, there is a general process that you will want to follow. For starters, you should thoroughly clean your boat and remove any personal belongings. This is also a good time to check your engine and make sure everything is working properly. From there, it’s time to put on your marketing cap. You should take high-resolution photographs of your boat’s interior and exterior, as this will create a more dynamic listing. You should also write up some copy that highlights some of the main selling points for your vessel. Once you attract a buyer and negotiate a fair price, you can hand over the keys to the new owner. During this phase though, you will want to assist them in transferring over the pleasure craft license (PCL). Read on to learn more about this process.

How Do You Complete a Pleasure Craft License Transfer

There are a couple of different ways that a boat is documented with Transport Canada. Commercial vessels, boats that are financed with a marine mortgage, and boats traveling abroad under the Canadian flag are required to have a vessel registration. Registered boats are transferred by completing a Form 6 – Bill of sale. For boats used for recreational purposes–more precisely, with engines of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more–a PCL is required.

So, how do you transfer a PCL? There is actually a field on the back of the license document that you will need to sign over to the new owner. This, along with a bill of sale, should then be sent in to Transport Canada.

Transfer a PCL Online

You can also transfer a PCL by using our streamlined web forms. Simply select the correct option from our navigation menu to use our fillable form. If you would like to learn more, take a few minutes to explore our Frequently Asked Questions page.

pleasure craft license transfer