Getting a Certificate of Registry for a Boat

Certificate of Registry

As the summer months wind down, there is still some time to get another boat trip or two in. Whether you plan to launch nearby, or you will be traveling a bit to take your vessel out, the urge to get some more time in with your boat is understandable. Of course, before you head out, you will want to make sure you are adequately prepared, especially if it has been a while since your boat has been in the water. First, you are going to want to thoroughly clean your vessel, inside and out. This is not only a nice gesture for your passengers, but it can also help ensure the safety of everyone on board. Next, you will want to check your fuel and oil levels, along with your supply of life jackets and other safety items. With those pieces in place, you are nearly ready to make waves–you just need to make sure you have the proper and current Transport Canada documentation handy. If you need a certificate of registry, you are going to want to take care of that before you hit the water, and we can help.

Obviously, you did not pick up boating because you enjoy completing paperwork. Still, it is necessary to work with Transport Canada from time to time to ensure that you are current on all of your forms. The simple truth is, boating is a privilege that comes with a lot of responsibility, and one of your duties as a responsible boat owner is to keep your documentation up-to-date. Transport Canada, which is located in the nation’s capital and employs thousands of Canadians, is tasked with maintaining the infrastructure of our country’s roads and waterways. One of this agency’s roles is to maintain a national registry of vessels. Only certain types of vessels will require registration, though it is a service that is available to all. Read on to learn more.

What is a Certificate of Registry for a Vessel?

If your boat is used for simple recreational purposes, chances are you can get by with a simple pleasure craft license (PCL). To be a bit more precise, this license applies to any motorized vessel with an engine of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more. If your boat is used for commercial means, or if it is financed with a bank loan, you will need to obtain a registration. This will also hold true for any boat traveling abroad under the Canadian flag.

You can register your boat by filling out Form 1 – Application for Vessel Registration. You will also need to provide Transport Canada with pictures of all four sides of your boat, a tonnage measurement, and a Form 3 – Statement of Qualification for Vessel Registration. 

Certificate of Registry

Use Our Simple Web Forms Today

You can get your PCL or vessel registration by using our easy-to-fill web forms. To learn more, take a look around our website, or visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.