File Your Boat Transfer Papers in BC For Full and Partial Transfers

boat transfer papers in BC

Filing boat transfer papers in BC is a comprehensive process that might take different forms depending on what the intended transfer will be. Let’s take a look at the different processes.

Boat Transfer Papers in BC

Part of the process to transfer ownership of a boat with Transport Canada will evidently depend on exactly what kind of transfer you are carrying out. After all, there are a couple of different ways in which you might end up approaching this matter. Because of this, the overall application process could potentially get confusing, which is why we are here to break down the process for you. This way, you will be able to file your boat transfer papers in BC without much of an issue.

Transferring the Registration Entirely

The most common boat transfer papers in BC will obviously be those for the sale of a boat. In cases such as these, you are transferring the full extent of either the registration or pleasure craft licence to someone else as part of a transaction. After all, if you are selling the vessel, the registration needs to be updated accordingly to reflect this change. You will have to submit the transfer form, which will essentially formalise the purchase and grant the new owner the claim over the vessel. Pretty straightforward, right? It is! You will mostly just have to provide information about the vessel itself, as well as the contact information for the new owner so that the registration can be put to their name.

Partial Transfers of Ownership

Of course, not all boat transfer papers in BC will be for full transfers of ownership. Quite a few of them will be partial. For example, you might have joint ownership over the boat with a partner and, because of some reason, either owner needs to be removed from the registration or the pleasure craft licence. Or, the other way around, you might be adding a person to the ownership arrangements. Either way, you need to request a partial transfer of ownership from Transport Canada to update the registry accordingly. You still need to submit the transfer of ownership form and provide the same information. Just remember to submit it as a partial transfer of ownership rather than as a full one. This way, the documentation will reflect the new ownership arrangement going forward.

boat transfer papers in BC
File Your Transfer Forms

Filing any sort of registration or licence application with Transport Canada can be somewhat challenging for a variety of reasons. Requirements can get confusing, and forms can be frustrating. For that reason, we have set up this platform: to help you navigate the wide variety of processes handled by Transport Canada without any issues. Trust our team to assist you with getting your boat’s documentation processed quickly and easily. You can find all the forms you might need on our menu, but feel free to reach out to us if you have any doubts about any of them. We’re here to help you get your documentation in order.