Completing an Alberta Bill of Sale for a Boat

Alberta Bill of Sale

If you are a resident of Alberta, or if you frequently spend time in the province, you understand that it is a uniquely special place to boat. With many scenic lakes to make waves on and take in the breathtaking vistas, there aren’t many better places in the world to launch a vessel. As your life grows and evolves, though, you may find that your boating needs can change as well. For instance, if your family is growing, you may find yourself in the market for a larger boat. Conversely, if your kids have gone off to university, you may be in a position to downsize. Whatever the circumstances that may precipitate you looking to sell your boat, you can likely snag a fair price on the secondary market. Of course, completing this process will call for a bit of paperwork, and in some circumstances, you may need to complete an Alberta bill of sale for a boat.

In your time as a boat owner, you probably have come to understand that it is something of an expensive hobby. Just docking your boat can command high fees, not to mention expensive repairs that need to be made over time. There is also the obvious fact that brand-new boats really have no price limit. Because of this, Canada has a pretty robust secondary market where prospective boat owners can net a great deal on a previously-owned boat. If you are planning to sell your boat in the marketplace, you will want to create a uniquely engaging “for sale” listing that includes several photos of your boat and highlights its more alluring qualities. In order to finalize a sale with a potential buyer, you may also need to handle some paperwork, and that’s where we come in.

Understanding the Alberta Bill of Sale Document

Just as boats come in different shapes and sizes, so too do the modes of documentation required by Transport Canada. For recreational vessels with engines of 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more, it will be necessary to obtain a pleasure craft license (PCL). If you are selling a boat with a PCL, you should prepare some sort of bill of sale that details the transaction, but it is not technically a requirement with Transport Canada.

Any vessel that is registered, however, must come with a Form 6 – Bill of Sale. In Canada, any boat that is financed with a marine mortgage or traveling on international waters under the Canadian flag must have a registration with Transport Canada. This is also true for boats that are engaging in any sort of commercial activity. To complete this form, you will need a small collection of details about the vessel in question, as well as the buyer and seller.

Alberta Bill of Sale

Get the Forms You Need Today

You can use our web forms to complete your Form 6 – Bill of Sale. Simply select the appropriate link in our navigation menu and you will find an easy-to-fill web form. We also have web forms for a number of other Transport Canada paperwork matters. To learn more, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page today.