All About Your PCOC Canada: Requirements and Application Process

PCOC Canada

Because there are so many lakes, rivers, and coastlines in Canada that are open for recreational use, boating is a popular activity in the country. On the other hand, it is the responsibility of boaters to make sure they have all of the licenses and permits that Transport Canada requires before they embark on a voyage. In this post, we will talk about the different kinds of boating permits that are available in Canada, such as the pleasure craft license, the Pleasure Craft Operating Card (PCOC) Canada, and boat registration, as well as how the National Vessel Registry can make the process of obtaining these permits easier and more convenient.

A Canadian Pleasure Craft License

You need a valid Pleasure Craft License to drive any kind of motorized watercraft that is meant for recreational use, including personal watercraft like jet skis. The PCL consists of a one-of-a-kind identification number that has to be displayed on both sides of the boat. No matter the length or width of the vessel, possessing this license is necessary to legally operate a boat in Canadian waters for recreational purposes.

On the website of Transport Canada, the application for a Pleasure Craft License can be filled out and submitted in its entirety online. The license can be obtained at no cost and is valid for a period of ten years. Because the license is not transferable, the new owner of the boat will need to apply for and receive a new license after the boat is sold.

Pleasure Craft Operating Card 

One of the most important permits that Transport Canada requires to operate a pleasure craft is a Pleasure Craft Operating Card (PCOC). The POCO is a way to make sure that the operator has the right experience and knowledge to run the vessel safely. A Personal Operating Certificate (PCOC) can be earned in a variety of ways, including by completing a boating safety course and earning a passing score on a boating exam.

You can take the boating safety course in person or online, and you can take the exam at a Transport Canada exam center or through a government-accredited online provider. The boater will receive a PCOC card after the course or exam has been successfully completed, and this card is required to be carried on board the boat at all times.

A Permit for Pleasure Craft Is Not the Same as a PCOC

People frequently confuse their pleasure craft operator’s card with their identification card. The PCOC, which easily fits in a purse or wallet, is comparable to a driver’s license. The PCOC allows you to demonstrate your ability to operate a pleasure boat safely. Institutions approved by Transport Canada provide the necessary instruction and testing for obtaining a license.

Boat Registration in Canada

Registration of Canadian boats is required for all watercrafts longer than 3 meters (9.8 feet), regardless of whether or not they have a motor. This boat registration is proof that you own the boat and can help stop theft and fraud. The registration number, followed by a series of numbers, needs to be displayed in block letters that are at least 7.5 centimeters (3 inches) high on both sides of the boat.

People can register their boats with Transport Canada either online or by sending in a paper form in the mail. The length of the boat determines the amount of the registration fee, and the permit is good for a period of ten years.

National Vessel Registry, Your Best Ally

Getting the permits and licenses you need to operate a boat can take a lot of time and effort, especially for people who are new to boating or have really tight schedules. On the other hand, the National Vessel Registry is a better and more convenient way to get these permits without leaving the safety and privacy of your own home.

The National Vessel Registry is a private online service that provides boat owners with the ability to register their vessels, obtain Pleasure Craft Licenses and PCOC cards, and more. The procedure is uncomplicated and easy to understand, and the applications can be finished online in just a few minutes from anywhere as long as you have a stable internet connection.

PCOC Canada

A Friendly Service For Your Boating Needs

The National Vessel Registry offers a service that is more personalized than the one offered by Transport Canada. We have put together a dedicated and professional team of specialists who are always available to respond to any questions or concerns that boaters might have. Because the service is offered round-the-clock, it is simple to acquire the required permits and licenses at any time of day or night.

In addition, the National Vessel Registry provides a wide range of additional services, such as searches for boat titles and liens as well as registrations for boat mortgages. People who are buying or selling boats and need to make sure that all of the necessary paperwork is in order may find these services to be particularly helpful.