3 Reasons You Should Work with Canadian Vessel Registry

Canadian Vessel Registry

Are you looking for a new hobby or a way to better enjoy the great outdoors? By purchasing your very own boat, you can unlock countless hours of leisure out on Canada’s pristine waterways with your friends, family, and loved ones. Our great nation is home to hundreds of thousands of lakes, as well as massive expanses of ocean coastline, so you will have no shortage of places where you can launch your vessel. Of course, before you can get out on the water, you will first need to figure out the type of boat that is right for you. Whether you are looking at buying a small kayak or something larger and closer to a yacht, the process to finalize your purchase is largely the same. First, you will need to do the necessary research to find the make and model that suits your needs. Then, you will need to browse online listings to locate a seller. Once you have negotiated a price, you are one step closer to making waves on your own, but first, you will need to obtain the correct Transport Canada documentation. By working with the Canadian Vessel Registry, you can do this online.

In this day and age, so much of the business that we do takes place online. Whether it be shopping for various goods or services, or taking care of more bureaucratic matters, the days of filling out paperwork by hand are largely behind us. If you have recently purchased a vessel for the first time, or if your boat needs to renew its documentation with Transport Canada, you have a couple of options for how you can move forward. You can, of course, visit Transport Canada’s website, locate the correct PDF forms, print them, fill them out, and mail them back to their offices in Ottawa for processing. There is also the simpler option of working with us at the Canadian Vessel Registry to take care of your paperwork online. Read on to learn about three reasons you should consider working with us.

  1. It’s Easy to Apply for a Pleasure Craft License on Our Site

For most boaters in Canada, their vessel is used for purely recreational and leisure purposes. Should you find yourself among this specific class of boaters, you will likely need to obtain a Pleasure Craft License (PCL) from Transport Canada. To be more precise, any motorized vessel with an engine of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more will require a PCL. Any vessel, even non-motorized boats, does have the option to acquire a PCL, and some find peace of mind in knowing their boat is registered in some way with authorities. 

You can use our fillable forms to apply for your PCL with just a few clicks. Simply select the PCL option from our navigation menu, and you will be brought to an easy-to-read online application. We also have an SSL-encrypted web portal which you can use to upload a photo of your boat and your proof of ownership documents (typically, a bill of sale is used for this).

  1. You Can Quickly Apply for Vessel Registration

Are you planning to use your vessel as part of your business? If you are engaging in any sort of commercial activity on Canadian waters, you will need to apply for vessel registration with Transport Canada. This is also true for any boats that are financed with a marine mortgage loan, as well as vessels that are sailing on international waters under the Canadian flag. When you register your vessel, you are given a completely unique moniker of your choosing as well as an official number for your boat.

To apply for vessel registration, you will need to complete Form 1 – Application for Vessel Registration, a Form 3 – Statement of Qualification for Vessel Registration, and you will need to submit a tonnage measurement and photographs of all four sides of your vessel. As you can imagine, this application package can quickly turn into a whole stack of paperwork, so why not do it online? With our streamlined web forms and secure portal, you can complete your application in just minutes. 


 Canadian Vessel Registry

  1. Canadian Vessel Registry Can Help with All of Your Documentation Needs

Throughout your career as a boat owner, you can expect to deal with Transport Canada paperwork matters from time to time. Maybe you will sell your boat and need to complete a transfer of a PCL, or fill out a Form 6 – Bill of Sale for your registered vessel. We can help with those matters, as we have online forms for all of your Transport Canada documentation needs. 

To learn more about how we can help you save time by submitting your paperwork online, take a moment to explore our website, or visit our helpful Frequently Asked Questions page.