Renting Your Boat as a Bareboat Charter in Canada: What You Need to Know

Bareboat Charter in Canada

Enjoying the open waters of Canada while earning some additional income by renting out your boat as a bareboat charter is a great way to make the most of both worlds. But before you can start renting out your boat as a bareboat charter, you must first get the permits and licenses you need from Transport Canada. In this blog post, we will go over what bareboat charters in Canada are, the permits and licenses that are required in order for you to rent out your boat, and how the National Vessel Registry can assist you in simplifying the process.

What Exactly Is Involved In A Bareboat Charter?

In a bareboat charter, the person who rents the boat is responsible for everything about it, such as navigation, maintenance, and safety. This type of boat rental is referred to as a “bareboat charter.” In contrast to a crewed charter, in which an onboard crew is supplied along with the vessel, a bareboat charter gives the renter the opportunity to navigate the water completely independently.

To Rent Out Your Boat As A Bareboat Charter, You Need To Have The Right Permits And Licenses.

You will need to apply to Transport Canada for a number of different permits and licenses in order to operate your boat as a bareboat charter if you intend to rent it out to other people. The Pleasure Craft License (PCL) is the first and most important permit that is required. A PCL is required for any pleasure craft that will be operating in Canadian waters, and this license is tied to the boat itself rather than the owner. Because of this, if you rent out your boat as a bareboat charter, the person who rents it from you will have to get a temporary license for the time they have the boat rented to them.

The PCOC, or Pleasure Craft Operator Card, is another important license that you need to get. In Canada, anyone who drives a motorized pleasure craft must have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC), which they can get by passing a boating safety course approved by Transport Canada. If you want to rent out your boat as a bareboat charter, you have to make sure that everyone who rents from you has a valid PCOC.

The type and size of your boat will tell you if you need any other licenses or permits in addition to the PCL and the PCOC. These will vary in price and complexity. For instance, if your boat is fitted with a marine radio, you might be required to obtain a ROC (Radiotelephone Operator’s Certificate). This is because marine radios are considered restricted devices. A commercial vessel registration might be required of you if the gross tonnage of your boat is greater than 15 tons.

The Role That the National Vessel Registry Plays in Offering Assistance

Figuring out what kinds of permits are needed for bareboat charters in Canada and how to obtain them can be a tedious and time-consuming process, especially if you have other activities that require your attention. The National Vessel Registry can help you speed up this process. Through the use of an online portal known as the National Vessel Registry, boat owners are able to acquire all of the necessary permits and licenses without having to interact directly with Transport Canada.

By using the National Vessel Registry, you can easily get a PCL and any other licenses and permits you need for your boat. This will allow you to operate your vessel legally. The procedure is straightforward, and you can complete all of the necessary paperwork online, which will save you both time and hassle.

In addition to issuing permits and licenses, the National Vessel Registration provides a vast array of additional services to boat owners. These services consist of mortgage registration, online paperwork, and vessel documentation. Since the National Vessel Registration follows all current regulations, you can rest assured that all aspects of your boat leasing business are being handled.

Bareboat Charter in Canada

Get the Most Out of Renting Your Boat

It’s possible that renting out your boat as a bareboat charter could be a fun and rewarding experience for you, but before you do so, you need to make sure that you have all of the required permits and licenses. By getting a Pleasure Craft Operating Certificate (PCOC) and any other permits and licenses that may be needed, you can make sure that your boat rental business is operating legally and according to Transport Canada’s rules.

Navigating the permit and license requirements for bareboat charters in Canada can be a complex process. The National Vessel Registry can help you figure out the permit and license requirements for bareboat charters in Canada and make the process easier. You can avoid the time and hassle of dealing with Transport Canada directly by using their online portal to obtain all of the necessary forms and documents instead of interacting with them directly. Please be sure to visit our website and talk with our customer service team if you have any questions.