Process Your Bill of Sale For a Boat and Trailer When Importing Them to Canada

Bill of Sale For a Boat and Trailer

When importing a boat and its trailer into Canada, there are a few different things that you’ll need to keep in mind. Don’t worry, though, for as long as you know what to do, the process can be fairly straightforward. So, if you are looking into importing and properly processing the bill of sale for a boat and trailer, here are the steps that you should keep in mind throughout.

A Bill of Sale For a Boat and Trailer

At the time of the purchase, you’re probably aware of what you need to do prior, such as having the trailer checked by a mechanic who can ensure its proper functioning. Remember that the trailer should have a vehicle identification number (VIN), which is why you should call the Canadian Registrar of Imported Vehicles to find out if the trailer’s VIN is valid before you actually buy it. Keep in mind that if the trailer is less than fifteen years old, a Registrar of Vehicles fee will have to be paid. Additionally, you should request a certificate of title, which in the United States can help the owner prove that there is nothing officially being owed in regard to the vessel assets. Then it’ll be time to get the bill of sale for a boat and trailer.

For When Crossing the Border

The bill of sale for a boat and trailer will be incredibly important when it comes to crossing the border, for it will serve as proof of ownership over the vessel and vehicle, so be sure to take care of that. Another thing you need to keep in mind at the time of importing a boat trailer into Canada is that you will need to get a US trailer permit in order to cross the border. Depending on the province you are entering, you may have to pay a Provincial Sales Tax. This includes British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Québec. Meanwhile, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Ontario, and Prince Edward Island will charge a Harmonized Sales Tax. If your new boat was manufactured in Canada, Mexico, or the United States, federal duty will not be charged. 

Once in Canada

Once you have crossed the border with your new boat and its trailer, you will still have to go through a few last steps before cementing your ownership here in Canada. You should, for one, mail the license plate back to the owner in the United States and buy your own trailer license at a provincial Driver & Vehicle Licence Office. Now will be the time to get Canadian insurance for the trailer and to make sure that it will be able to properly operate within the country and your specific province. Once you do this, you should be able to comfortably use your trailer to move your craft around. Just be sure to save all your receipts in case you are ever asked for proof you paid all the necessary fees and taxes on them. 

Bill of Sale For a Boat and Trailer

Get Your Documentation With Transport Canada

Transport Canada bureaucracy, like all sorts of administrative paperwork, can be quite annoying and inconvenient, which is why we here at the National Vessel Registry Center want to make it all easier for you. Our platform has everything you need in regard to vessel documentation, be it your registration, your license, or other similar documents. And the best part is that should you need any help at some point in the process, we are ready to address your doubts and questions. Just reach out to us by way of our contact page through email or phone. Our team wants to make sure that you process your documentation application without any trouble.