Joining the Boat Registry in BC

Boat Registry in BC

When you purchase a boat, you are opening yourself up to a world of new recreational opportunities. You can go out and sightsee, catch fish, tube, or water ski as much as you like on the bountiful waters of British Columbia (BC), Canada. Of course, buying a boat is not without some work or research. For instance, before you make your purchase you will need to perform a fair amount of due diligence to find the right vessel for you. You will also need to figure out if you want to buy a brand-new boat or look for a deal on the secondary market. With your new boat firmly in your possession, you will also need to think about the routine maintenance that you will need to perform. This will typically include basic engine repair, cleaning, and topping off oil and fuel levels. From time to time, you may also need to complete some paperwork with Transport Canada. At a very basic level, this may include adding your vessel to the boat registry in BC. Fortunately, at the National Vessel Registry Center, we can help you complete this process online.

As you already know, completing forms and paperwork is often just a facet of life. Boat ownership is, of course, no exception. If you think about it, it makes sense that you would need to document your vessel with Transport Canada. As the country’s primary transportation agency, Transport Canada manages the infrastructure of our waterways, so it stands to reason that they would want to know who and what is accessing them. There are also safety concerns to consider. Boats can be large, powerful objects, so safe operation is an absolute must. Part of that safe operation process is obtaining a boating license, also called a pleasure craft operator card (PCOC). When it comes to documenting your vessel itself, there are a couple of options, and we can help you get to know them.

What is the Boat Registry in BC?

There are two main ways to document a vessel. You can obtain a pleasure craft license (PCL) or a vessel registration. A PCL is mandatory for all leisure craft with engines of 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more, though any boat can apply for and obtain one. Vessel registration with Transport Canada is required when a boat is used for commercial purposes or financed with a bank loan. You will also need to register your vessel if you plan to travel internationally under the Canadian flag.

You can use our web forms to complete your Form 1 – Application for Vessel Registration. We also have a fillable form for Form 3 – Statement of Qualification for Vessel Registration. You can then use our secure web portal to upload photographs of all four sides of your vessel and the requisite tonnage measurement.

Boat Registry in BC

Get Out on the Water ASAP

You can save yourself some valuable time and energy by registering your boat online with our web forms. To learn more, take a couple of minutes to explore our website, or head on over to our helpful Frequently Asked Questions page.