How to Apply for a Boating License in Alberta

Boating License in Alberta

The weather may be getting a bit cooler in Canada, but there is always another boating season right around the corner. If you happen to be a resident of Alberta, or if you have a cabin there, you are surely going to spend the winter daydreaming about getting out on the lake. Of course, this offseason is also a good opportunity for aspiring boaters to do the research necessary to buy their first vessels. If you happen to be in this camp, you may be wondering where to start. Well, at the outset, you should probably get online and start learning about the various types of makes and models available for purchase. Once you have narrowed in on the right boat for you, you can then start looking at “for sale” listings on both the new and used boat marketplaces. Once you get to the point where you are negotiating with a seller on a fair price and the keys are within your reach, it is definitely time to consider applying for a boating license in Alberta. At the National Vessel Registry Center, we can help you process your paperwork online with just a few clicks.

One of the great things about boating is that it can afford you an immense sense of freedom. As you hit the lake with the wind at your back, the problems and stresses of daily life on land tend to melt away. With this feeling of liberation, though, does come quite a bit of responsibility. Simply put, boats can be dangerous when operated improperly, and you owe it to your passengers and yourself to take every safety precaution available. One element of this is to keep your Transport Canada documentation current. As the country’s primary transportation agency for all matters on both land and sea, Transport Canada issues licenses and vessel registrations to boaters across Canada. Read on to learn more about getting your paperwork in order before the next boating season.

Do You Need a Boating License in Alberta?

You can think of a boating license as sort of like a driver’s license for a boat. Officially called a pleasure craft operator card (PCOC), you can get this document by taking a short educational course and passing Transport Canada’s requisite exam. Once you have a PCOC, you will have a document that demonstrates that you have a basic competency for safely operating a motorized vessel on Canadian waters. This may not, however, be the end of your Transport Canada paperwork journey.

If your boat has an engine of 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more, your vessel will require a pleasure craft license (PCL). This is often referred to as a “boat license”, and you can get yours online by using our streamlined, fillable web forms.

Boating License in Alberta

Get the Online Forms You Need

We are your one-stop shop for all Transport Canada online paperwork matters. Whether you need a PCL, a vessel registration, or some other form, you can process your application online with just a few clicks. To learn more, spend a few minutes exploring our navigation menu.