How Do You Get a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

Operator Card

If you are thinking about buying a boat, you should know that it is not a decision you can just dive right into. While the idea of relaxing out on the water with your family and friends is indeed an appealing one, it generally takes a few steps to get to that point. For starters, you will need to think long and hard about the type of boat you want. As you will find with a bit of research, there are plenty of different options on the new and used marketplace. Next, you will need to locate a seller that is near you (unless you are willing to travel to pick up your new vessel). After you have negotiated a price, money can change hands, and you are very nearly at the point where you can launch your new boat into the lake of your choosing. First, though, there may be some paperwork to complete. To be a bit more specific, you will probably need to fill out some applications with Transport Canada, one of which may include an application for a pleasure craft operator card (PCOC).

Transport Canada provides a number of important services to Canadian citizens. As the nation’s primary transportation agency for all infrastructure matters on sea and land, it has thousands of employees, which makes sense considering the number of duties they are tasked with. One such responsibility includes the issuance of licenses and registrations to boaters across Canada. During your years as a boat owner, you will periodically need to work with Transport Canada to keep your documentation current. The good news is, however, by working with a private service such as ours at the National Vessel Registry Center, you can fill out your paperwork online the easy way. Read on to learn more.

Operator Card

What is a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

When you first start looking at boating documentation, it is natural to be a bit confused. You will hear terms like “boat license” and “boating license” thrown around liberally. While these two documents sound similar, they are actually quite different. A boat license, which is technically called a pleasure craft license (PCL) , applies to your vessel. More precisely, any leisure craft with an engine of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more will require a PCL. You can get a PCL by filling out an application and providing a photograph of your vessel and proof of ownership.

A boating license is officially known as a pleasure craft operator card, and it is sort of like a driver’s license for your boat. To get a PCOC, you will need to take a brief educational course and pass the requisite exam. 

We can help you process your Transport Canada paperwork online. To learn more about our services, take a few minutes to explore our navigation menu, or visit our informative Frequently Asked Questions page.