Get the Facts on Boat Registration in Canada

Boat Registration

If you sit and think about it, what is your favorite to spend a warm, sunny day? Do you envision yourself out on the lake, casting lines, or water skiing with your friends and family? If so, you might find that owning your own boat can unlock hours of enjoyment in the great Canadian outdoors. If you happen to be new to boat ownership, you might find yourself a bit overwhelmed by how many different types of vessels there are that are available for purchase. Not to mention, you can hardly be blamed for experiencing a bit of sticker shock when looking at the prices for brand-new vessels. In truth, though, whether you are buying a new or previously-owned vessel, the right boat for you is undoubtedly out there somewhere, and with a bit of research (and budgeting), you can potentially find yourself holding the keys to the boat of your dreams. Before you hit the water, though, you will first want to make sure that you have the correct Transport Canada documentation, and for some, this means applying for a boat registration online.

In your years as a boat owner, you should be prepared to work with Transport Canada from time to time. Transport Canada is the nation’s primary transportation agency for all matters concerning our waters, and they have thousands of employees to help them carry out their duties and obligations. Accountable to Parliament and headquartered in Ottawa, Transport Canada maintains a thorough registry of the vessels on Canadian waters, and they also issue pleasure craft licenses (PCLs) in addition to pleasure craft operator cards (PCOCs). The specific type of documentation that you will require will largely be determined by the type of boat you have and what you plan to use it for. The good news is, by working with us at the National Vessel Registry Center, you can get the documents you need online by using our fillable web forms–read on to learn more.

Do You Need a Boat Registration?

Before you can apply for the documentation you need, you should probably get to know the different types of paperwork that Transport Canada offers. A PCL is a license for a boat that is used purely for leisure purposes, and more precisely, it is required for such motorized boats with engines of 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more. A PCOC often called a boating license, is sort of like a driver’s license for a boat. You can obtain a PCOC by completing an educational course and passing Transport Canada’s competency exam.

Vessel registration is required for all boats being used for commercial purposes. It is also a must for boats traveling internationally under the Canadian flag, and any vessel that holds a marine mortgage. Applying for registration will call for the submission of a few forms and supplemental materials to Transport Canada, all of which we have available on our site.

Boat Registration

Start Making Waves Today

Whether you need a PCL, a vessel registration, or some other bit of Transport Canada documentation, we can help. Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page today to learn more, or spend a few minutes browsing our navigation menu.