Commercial and Recreational Documented Vessel Transfer of Ownership

Documented Vessel Transfer of Ownership

How you carry out your documented vessel transfer of ownership will depend on what vessel you’re transferring. Here are the two types of Transport Canada transfers.

Documented Vessel Transfer of Ownership

To make the sale of a vessel official, at least in administrative terms, you will have to file for a documented vessel transfer of ownership with Transport Canada. This is the process by which the documentation associated with one boat and its owner is passed along to another after a sale takes place. This makes sure that the corresponding changes and correct information are both reflected in the official record so that, should any matters related to the boat arise, the right owner can be promptly notified. Please note that this process will look slightly different depending on the type of vessel that you’re transferring, so let’s take a look at that.

For Registered Vessels

If you use your vessel for commercial purposes, then its documentation with Transport Canada will consist of registration, which needs to be transferred onto the new owner if you sell the boat at some point. To do this, all you need to do is file for a transfer of registration. This requires a very simple paperwork process to be filed with Transport Canada, but if you’re familiar with how bureaucracy works then you’re probably scared it won’t be that simple. Don’t worry, because with the National Vessel Registry Center, this doesn’t have to be that hard. Our team is here to help you submit your transfer of registration forms easily and quickly through our secure platform. This way, you won’t have to bother with all the work of regular paperwork. 

For Vessels With a Pleasure Craft Licence

Now, when it comes to a documented vessel transfer of ownership for recreational boats, you will need to transfer, not registration, but the boat’s pleasure craft license. This document, which should be attached to your recreational vessel, will have to be properly transferred to the new owner when selling your boat, and this can easily be done by way of a specific application. Head over to the pleasure craft license tab on our menu and select the option for transfer of such. There, you will be able to fill out the transfer form and file it with Transport Canada so that it can be promptly processed without issue. If you need any help at any point in this process, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team and we’ll do our best to assist you.

Documented Vessel Transfer of Ownership
Transfer Your Vessel Ownership

Your boat ownership should be fun and exciting, which is why we don’t want you to have to worry too much about its more menial aspects, such as paperwork. Here at the National Vessel Registry Center, we can help you take care of all this quickly and efficiently so that you can focus on what matters most. Here, you will find every form, every application, and every guide related to your boating documentation, so go ahead and get started with whatever it is you have to do, be it your registration, your pleasure craft license, or your boat history transcript. Our platform will have everything you need and more.