Learn More About How to Transfer Boat Registration in Canada

Transfer Boat Registration in Canada

As a boat owner here in Canada, you are probably familiar with the importance of having your boat registration in order. This is why, should anything change in regards to a vessel’s ownership, it needs to be reflected on the official Transport Canada registry. Because of this, there are going to be situations in which you might have to submit the form for a transfer of registration. Let’s take a closer look at the process to transfer boat registration in Canada

Transfer Boat Registration in Canada

Part of the process to transfer ownership will depend on exactly what kind of transfer you are carrying out. After all, there are a few different ways in which you might end up approaching this matter. Because of this, it can quickly get very confusing, which is why we are here to break down the overall process for you. This way, you will be able to take care of your transfer of registration without issue.

Transferring the Registration Entirely

The most common form of transfer of registration will obviously be the sale of a vessel. In cases such as these, you are transferring the full extent of a registration to someone else as part of a transaction. After all, if you are selling the vessel, the registration needs to be updated accordingly to reflect this change. You will have to submit the transfer form, which will essentially formalize the purchase and grant the new owner the claim over the vessel. Pretty straightforward, right? It is! You will mostly just have to provide information about the vessel itself, as well as the contact information for the new owner so that the registration can be put to their name.

Partial Transfers of Ownership

Of course, not all transfers of ownership will be full. Some of them will be partial. For example, you might have joint ownership over the vessel with a partner and, because of some reason, either owner needs to be removed from the registration. Or, the other way around, you might be adding a person to the registration. Either way, you need to request a partial transfer of ownership from Transport Canada to update the registry accordingly. You still need to submit the transfer of ownership form and provide the same information. Just remember to submit it as a partial transfer of ownership rather than as a full one. This way, the registration will reflect the new ownership arrangement going forward.

Transfer Boat Registration in Canada

Submit Forms to Transport Canada

It’s common knowledge that engaging with government agencies can often be quite frustrating, especially when it comes to transportation. Transferring your boat registration, be it fully or partially, for example, can be a very inconvenient process, which is why we make an effort to make it easier for you. Here at the Canadian Vessel Registry Center, you will be able to find all the forms you might need in relation to your vessel. For more information about this process or to ask any questions about it, you can give us a call at +1 (800) 419-9569 or email us at info@canadianvesselregistry.ca.