Vessels here need specific Canadian vessel documentation in order to operate in national waters, similarly to how you need to have your car’s documents in order if you wish to drive it. However, not every vessel requires documentation. According to the regulations set forth by Transport Canada, commercial vessels need to be registered with them in order to be allowed to operate accordingly.

Commercial vessels include:

  • Commercial fishing boats
  • Fish processing vessels
  • Freight ships
  • Industrial vessels
  • Mobile offshore drilling units
  • Oil recovery boats
  • Offshore supply vessels
  • Passenger boats
  • Passenger barges
  • Public freight vessels
  • Public tankships/barges
  • Public vessels
  • Research vessels
  • School ships
  • Tank barges
  • Tank ships
  • Towing vessels

If your boat can be categorised above, you will need to get Canadian vessel registration with Transport Canada.