Why Do I Need a Bill of Sale for an Alberta Boat?

Bill of Sale Alberta Boat

Are you in the process of buying or selling a Canadian vessel and want to make sure that all of the documentation is taken care of? Did someone bring up signing a bill of sale” for an Alberta boat you’re interested in buying and you don’t know what all that entails? If you have your eyes on the boat of your dreams, then you’re going to want to make sure that everything is on the up and up. The same holds true if you’ve found the perfect, motivated buyer for your vessel. A bill of sale can be an important legal document.

Bill of Sale Alberta Boat

You’re Selling a Pleasure Craft 

That’s the main reason that you’re going to need a bill of sale for buying or selling a vessel. Indeed, that’s what a strong majority of bills of sale are used for. These vessels aren’t registered with Transport Canada, they’re pleasure craft, so, you should want to have a bill of sale for when the vessel is bought or sold. Why? Because it can be important legal documentation in case one party or another is unhappy after the sale. Having this document can leave you feeling “better safe than sorry,” so to speak. 

What Should Be in a Bill of Sale for an Alberta Boat? 

There is no set governmental form for a bill of sale. That said, there are specific bits of information that these forms contain. For example, they should all have the names of each party involved, as well as their signatures, addresses, and contact information. In terms of boat information, these should include the boat’s cost, its make, its model, the color of the vessel, and basically any other information that could be considered pertinent (the odometer, and so forth). If there are any witnesses to the signing, getting their signatures can be a good idea as well. 

What if I’m Buying or Selling a Registered Vessel? 

In that case, you’re going to want to avail yourself of an official form called the “Transfer of Ownership.” This is a government form that has to be sent to Transport Canada. That’s where we come in. Here at the National Vessel Registry Center Corp., we make it easier than ever to fill out this form and send it to the authorities. You can find this form at our site and fill it out from anywhere at any time. 

Where Can I Find More About Canadian Vessel Documentation? 

Just as you can fill out the Transfer of Ownership form at our site from anywhere at any time, you’re able to do the same for any other Canadian vessel documentation forms that you might need as well. So, no matter where you’re looking for more information about a vessel, looking to register it with Transport Canada, or you’re looking to renew that documentation, you can do that here. To see everything that we can help with, head to our site today.