How to Transfer a Canadian Boat Ownership: A 2021 Update

How to Transfer Boat Ownership

Are you buying a vessel here in late 2021? Or, alternatively, are you in the process of selling your vessel and want to make sure that you’ve “crossed every T and dotted every I,” so to speak? One of the more common web searches that brings someone to our site is when they type: “how to transfer boat ownership.” It’s been said that “the best two days of vessel ownership are the day that you buy it and the day that you sell it.” At our site, we can help you with both days. 

Transferring a Registered Vessel 

Should your vessel be registered with Transport Canada, we have the form you’ll need to transfer it to a new owner (or to have it transferred to you). Specifically, we’re referring to the “Application for Transfer of Ownership for a Registered” vessel form. Again, this is just for registered vessels and not pleasure craft. Should you need to make this go through a bit faster, we offer “priority request/rush processing” services as well. That means we’ll put you on top of the queue. A word to the wise: we cannot offer refunds if the boat sale does not go through. So, only avail yourself of this form if it’s a sure thing, a formality, and so forth. 

How to Transfer Boat Ownership

Transferring a Pleasure Craft 

The previous paragraph is about transferring ownership of a vessel that’s been registered. Should you have a pleasure craft, you transfer ownership by signing the reverse side of your vessel license and then give it to the person you sold the pleasure craft to. Then, they have 90 days to complete and sign the reverse side of the vessel license. 

Other Ways of How to Transfer Boat Ownership 

Often, ownership isn’t necessarily transferred solely from one party to another. Indeed, a vessel owner will bring on their significant other, a new member of the ownership team, or, alternatively, remove someone from ownership. Should that be the case, you can use the same form for registered vessels at our site. One thing to keep in mind, though: Canadian citizenship. For a new member of your owner partnership to be legal, they have to be a resident of Canada, a citizen of Canada, or even a Canadian corporation. 

Beyond Transferring Ownership 

Perhaps you’ve transferred ownership to someone else, leaving you on the lookout for a new vessel. Or, alternatively, maybe you’ve just purchased a vessel from someone else, and now you want to make sure that you have all of the forms that you need to be in compliance with the powers that be. We can help. At our site, you can find all of the different forms of Canadian vessel documentation that you might need. Specifically, you can find all of the forms here for the Small Vessel Registry in addition to Pleasure Craft Licensing, vessel documentation, and more. To see everything that we offer, head to our site.