How to Do a Transport Canada Boat Transfer Online

Transport Canada Boat Transfer

If you have caught the boating bug, you may just have a hobby for life. People of all ages can find something enjoyable about a day out on the water, whether that be fishing, sightseeing, or water sports. As your life grows and changes, though, so too may your boating needs. Maybe you are looking to purchase a larger vessel to accommodate a growing family. Perhaps it is time to downsize as the kids have gone off to college. Regardless of your circumstances, if you are planning to buy or sell a boat, there are some steps that you will need to follow. If you are selling a boat, you will need to create an engaging listing in online and print marketplaces. If you are buying a boat, you will want to do a fair amount of research on which particular make and model is right for you. No matter what end of the transaction you happen to find yourself on, though, you should know a bit about how to complete a Transport Canada boat transfer online.

Whether you are buying or selling a boat, you will find yourself working with Transport Canada from time to time. As the nation’s primary transportation agency for all things water-related, Transport Canada is tasked with regulating our waters and issuing licenses and registrations. As such, this agency likes to stay informed when a vessel with a pleasure craft license (PCL) or a vessel registration changes ownership. The good news is, you can find the forms you need online using our website. We have a number of fillable forms for all sorts of Transport Canada documents, and if you are buying or selling a vessel, we can help you do what you need to do over the web. 

Completing the Right Transport Canada Boat Transfer

In a transaction involving a boat, the paperwork that you will need to process with Transport Canada is largely dependent on how your boat is documented. If your boat has a PCL–which is applicable to most pleasure crafts with an engine of 7.5 kW or more–you will need to sign over the license to the new buyer, who will then need to provide a bill of sale to Transport Canada. You can complete this process online using our forms found under the “Pleasure Craft License” section.

Registered vessels require a slightly different process. When a registered vessel is sold, a Form 6 – Bill of Sale and a Form 3 – Statement of Qualification for Vessel Registration will need to be provided to Transport Canada by the buyer. We also have streamlined versions of these forms on our website.

Transport Canada Boat Transfer

Close Your Deal with Our Forms

Whether you need a bill of sale or a pleasure craft license application, we have easy-to-fill web forms for you. If you would like to learn more about our services, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page, or take a few minutes and keep exploring our site for yourself.