What Are The Four Different Pleasure Craft License Forms

Pleasure Craft License

A pleasure craft is defined as a vessel used for personal recreation, leisure activities, or daily living. A vessel used for any other purpose is called a non-pleasure vessel or commercial vessel. Pleasure crafts are a great way to spend time with friends and family without having to worry about the interruptions and demands of daily life. A Transport Canada pleasure craft license is necessary if you want to be able to truly enjoy your time on your vessel. There are four different forms that you can complete to obtain or manage the license of a pleasure craft- application for a new license, to transfer an existing license to another person, forms to update your personal information, and to request a duplicate of your existing Transport Canada pleasure craft license.

New Pleasure Craft License

Congratulations, you are now the owner of a pleasure craft! Before you can take your pleasure craft though, you might need to obtain your license to operate it. Licensure is required for a pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft. To complete a new application you will need to supply your name, address, and contact information. If there is a secondary owner of your new pleasure craft then their name must also be added.

Remember that your license does not serve as proof of ownership. It’s important that you keep additional paperwork to prove ownership of your vessel at all times. Also, remember that you will need to display the license number of your pleasure craft on the vessel itself so that it remains visible at all times. The license number must satisfy these three requirements:

  • On both sides of the bow above the waterline
  • Numbers must be at least 7.5 centimeters high, written in block characters
  • The Color of the numbers needs to contrast with the color of the bow

Pleasure Craft License


Are you passing on your pleasure craft to someone else? If so, they will need to have a Transport Canada pleasure craft license of their own. The required information is the same as what you need to submit a new license application, but instead of your name and personal contact information you will need to supply information of the new owner. You will also need to include the license number of your pleasure craft.


An updated application is necessary when your personal information changes. For example, if you move to a new address or have any modifications done to your pleasure vessel, you will need to inform Transport Canada. The update application makes it so your license will always reflect the current most accurate information. Not updating your license can lead to complications that interfere with your ability to have fun with your vessel out on the open water.

This form is a very simple one, as it only requires your name, address, contact information, and license number. If there is a secondary owner then you will also need to include their name on your updated license.


A duplicate of your pleasure craft license should be requested if the original is ever lost, damaged, or destroyed. You may want to have a duplicate made ahead of time, so you already have a second available if something happens to the first one. Laminating a license can invalidate the document as it can no longer be verified for authenticity. If your license has been laminated then it is very important that you request a duplicate right away. 

Applying for a duplicate requires more information than the three documents explained above. Aside from personal information and license number, a duplicate license also needs you to supply the make, model, length, and HIN (hull identification number). Requesting a duplicate costs $135 CAD. If it is necessary for you to expedite receiving your duplicate, and you can request rush processing on your application as well.

Every Form You Need – And More

Boat ownership can be complicated, but it doesn’t have to be. The best way to avoid any frustration or confusion is to let National Vessel Registry Center Corp handle all of the administrative work for you. Simply submit your information through our website, and let us handle the rest. When you let us manage your documentation, you’ll have your pleasure craft license in no time! If you have any questions along the way don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. You reach us by calling +1 (800) 419-9569 or by emailing us at info@canadianvesselregistry.ca.