Transport Canada Vessel Registration: Dos and Don’ts

Transport Canada Vessel Registration

Owning your own boat gives you the freedom to set sail whenever the urge should strike you. In Canada, there is also no shortage of bodies of water that you can explore on the weekends with your vessel. It is worth noting, though, that such a privilege comes with a fair amount of responsibility, and purchasing a boat is also no minor investment. After you have done the necessary research in identifying the type of boat that is right for you, you will also want to make sure that you have the proper paperwork. For some boat owners, this means obtaining a Transport Canada vessel registration. Others may need to obtain a pleasure craft license (PCL) or a pleasure craft operator card (PCOC). The good news is, however, at the National Vessel Registry Center, we have online forms that you can use to apply for the documentation you need over the web.

If you have recently closed the deal on your new boat, you are probably pretty antsy to get out on the water. Before you leave the shoreline, though, make sure you have the necessary documentation so that you are operating your boat in a safe and legal way. Not unlike a car, a vessel requires a registration and/or license, and by knowing what you need as well as how you can get it online, you can spend less time toiling away on tedious paperwork and more time making waves and memories with friends and family.

Transport Canada Vessel Registration Dos

Before you go to fill out Form 1 – Application for Vessel Registration, there are a couple of matters to consider. Do: apply for a vessel registration if your boat will be used for commercial purposes if you will be traveling abroad under the Canadian flag, or if your boat is financed with a marine mortgage. Another do: in addition to your application, you will want to provide a Form 3 – Statement of Qualification for Vessel Registration and a bill of sale, along with photographs of all four sides of your boat.

Transport Canada Vessel Registration

Vessel Registration Don’ts to Keep in Mind

If your boat is to be used for purely domestic leisure purposes, you don’t necessarily need a vessel registration–though they are available to all boats in Canada. In most cases, a motorized vessel with an engine of 7.5 kW or more will get by with just a PCL. Another don’t: make sure you don’t choose a name that is already taken for your boat, as this is how Transport Canada identifies vessels within the Small Vessel Registry.

Another “don’t” to be mindful of: avoid making an unnecessary trip to the post office. By working with us, you can skip printing out a bunch of paperwork, inking it by hand, and getting it in the mail. We have easy-to-fill web forms for all of your Transport Canada documentation needs. We also use an SSL-encrypted web portal to process your forms, so your data is always in safe hands. Take a look around this site today to learn more about how we can help you.