Navigate the Small Vessel Registry Documentation With Transport Canada

Small Vessel Registry

Transport Canada has a special small vessel registry system meant for small-sized commercial boats. If you think you qualify for this particular registration, here’s what you need to do.

Small Vessel Registration

When it comes to registering vessels with Transport Canada, it’s good to know that not every boat is filed with them in the same way. Some will have certain specifics that call for an application process in particular. Among these, you will find small vessel registration, which applies to a very specific size-related modifier. If you have a boat that Transport Canada considers small, then you won’t have to submit the form corresponding to regular registration. Instead, there will be a simpler process intended for smaller boats. Let’s take a look at this process so that you can make use of the small vessel option for your boat.

Defining Small Vessels

Transport Canada’s small vessel registration is specifically meant for commercial boats that don’t exceed certain particular guidelines. These are:

  • The boat is used for either commercial or non-pleasure purposes.
  • The boat is powered by an engine of 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more.
  • The vessel is under 15 gross tons.

It’s important to remember that the commercial vessel category doesn’t exclusively refer to vessels operated for profit. Boats dedicated to research, passenger transportation, and similar non-recreational activities will also fit within this designation. In case it doesn’t, however, but you still consider your boat a small vessel, you will have to think about whether or not it will need a pleasure craft licence.

Small Recreational Vessels

Now, when it comes to pleasure boats and recreational vessels, you don’t have to register them with Transport Canada. However, it might be the case that you will need to get a pleasure craft licence for your boat. Keep in mind that there are also guidelines for this, meaning that the scope of the boat will determine whether or not it needs a license. This isn’t about gross tonnage, though. Instead, it’s about the motor’s power. Only those equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more will have to get a licence. If your pleasure craft falls short of this, you won’t have to get a licence for it to operate it in Canadian waters. If it does, you can get your licence processed through our site.

Small Vessel Registry
Submit Forms For Registration

Filing any sort of registration or licence application with Transport Canada can be somewhat challenging for a variety of reasons. Requirements can get confusing, and forms can be frustrating. For that reason, we have set up this platform: to help you navigate the wide variety of processes handled by Transport Canada without any issues. Trust our team to assist you with getting your boat’s documentation processed quickly and easily. You can find all the forms you might need on our menu, but feel free to reach out to us if you have any doubts about any of them. We’re here to help you get your documentation in order.