Learn How to Properly File Your Boat Transfer Papers With Transport Canada

boat transfer papers

If you’re looking to change ownership arrangements for your boat, you will need to file your boat transfer papers with Transport Canada. Here’s everything you need to know about filing these.

Transport Canada Boat Transfer Papers

If you are looking to sell your boat, you will have to take care of the whole administrative and bureaucratic component of the transfer of ownership. When you first got the boat, you had to either register it with Transport Canada or get a pleasure craft licence for it, depending on whether it’s a commercial or recreational boat. You don’t keep this documentation, for it will have to go with the vessel to the new owner. This won’t be automatic, though, and you will have to submit the corresponding form to get it done. Let’s guide you through a closer look at what the boat transfer papers will ask of you.

Transferring Vessel Registration

Commercial vessels, in accordance with the Canada Shipping Act of 2001, need to be registered with Transport Canada before operating. This allows the government agency to keep a consistent record of all vessels operating commercially across the country’s waters. Once you get the initial registration in the first place, it will be tied to the vessel going forward. This means that if you are selling it or passing it along to a new owner, the registration will go to them. In order to carry out that change, you will have to submit the form for a transfer of registration with Transport Canada. This way, the registry will be able to maintain updated information in relation to the vessel itself and the new owner will be able to enjoy full use of the boat.

Transferring a Pleasure Craft Licence

A similar process will apply when you are transferring a pleasure craft licence. This is the document that serves as both the operating permit and proof of ownership for a recreational vessel. Just like with a commercial boat’s registration, this pleasure craft licence will stick with the boat if it switches hands at some point. This will apply whether you are adding owners, removing them, or changing them altogether. If you are looking to transfer a licence, you will have to submit an application form for such. Once you have submitted the form for the boat transfer papers, providing all the information about the new owner, they will be able to make use of the pleasure craft licence going forward. 

boat transfer papers

Transport Canada Forms

Documenting your vessel will always be an important component of your boat ownership here in Canada, which is why we don’t want you to have to go through this process alone. At the National Vessel Registry Center, we have everything that you might need in order to take care of these processes. Whether you are getting your boat registration or your pleasure craft licence with Transport Canada, you will find all the tools that you might need right here on our website. And, should you need any more information or assistance with the application process or by filling out the forms, don’t hesitate to reach out to us for help. You will get your documentation processed in no time.