How to Get an Alberta Bill of Sale Online

Alberta bill of sale

If you live in Alberta, you probably feel the itch to purchase your own boat. It is really no wonder why–this Canadian province is an outdoors enthusiast’s paradise. With hundreds of vast, pristine lakes, Alberta is a great location for boaters, and whether you live in Calgary, Edmonton, or anywhere in between, there is no shortage of places for you to explore with your vessel. Of course, throughout your time as a boat owner, your specific seafaring needs may change. For instance, there may come a time when you need to either downsize or upgrade. The good news is, Canada is home to a bustling secondary market for boats, and plenty of aspiring boat owners are looking to snag a great deal on a well-maintained, previously-owned vessel. If you are planning to sell your boat, you will want to thoroughly clean it, check its engines, and create an engaging “for sale” listing for either digital or print. Once you have found a buyer, you may also need to fill out an Alberta bill of sale.

If you are in a position where you are selling your boat, you already know that boat ownership is a considerable responsibility. It is up to you to make sure that your boat is in good working order at all times, and well-stocked with safety equipment and life jackets. Additionally, there are paperwork matters with Transport Canada that you will need to navigate from time to time. Specifically, your boat may require a pleasure craft license (PCL) or a vessel registration. Depending on which mode of paperwork your vessel carries, you may need to submit some paperwork–typically a bill of sale–to Transport Canada for processing. Read on to learn more.

What is an Alberta Bill of Sale?

You will require a Form 6 – Bill of Sale if your boat is registered with Transport Canada. Registration is compulsory for any boat that is financed with a marine mortgage or is used for any sort of commercial means. Registration is also a must if your boat is traveling on international waters under the Canadian flag. When you sell a registered vessel, you will need to fill in some basic details about yourself and your boat on Form 6.

Many boats will carry a PCL instead of vessel registration, as they apply to most recreational vessels. Specifically, any boat used for leisure purposes with an engine of 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more must have a PCL. When you are granted a PCL, your boat will be assigned a registration number to be displayed on its exterior. When you sell a boat with a PCL, an official bill of sale is not required, but it is recommended to ensure the completeness of the transaction.

Alberta bill of sale

Get Your Forms Online Today

At the National Vessel Registry Center, we have all the online forms that you need for boat licensing or registration matters. To learn more, take a look around our navigation menu, or visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.